Re: Some YDL2.0 issues

Subject: Re: Some YDL2.0 issues
From: Hollis (hollis-lists@austin.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 21:52:20 MDT

On Monday 02 July 2001 12:04, you wrote:

> 1) What are the latest development tools and glibc to use:
> On Franz Sirl's devel.linuxppc.org site are the following tools:
> Are these the most recent non-gcc-3.0 tools to use?
>
> binutils-2.11.90.0.7-0a.src.rpm
> gcc-2.95.4-3e.src.rpm
> glibc-2.2.3-5a.src.rpm

Yes, although you'll want to check with him about their quality.

> 1.) Install CD (even a replacement one that YDL just sent to me) did not
> work in my system B+W G3 without lots of tender loving care (cleaning ,
> etc). Is the install cd oversized (over the limit in some way)? I had to
> try to load it at least 10 times until it finally was able to be read by my
> machine without lots of loud clicking noises and errored out installs.

I also have a B&W, but didn't see these issues. :/ I wonder if it's possible
you could have gotten 2 bad CD's in a row. Can you copy the entire CD to disk
without errors?

> 2). I had to use the text installer since the graphical one never seemed to
> find the ramdisk image it needed (a install cd issue corruption issue?).

That's the usual cause...

> 3) The custom install will not correctly format the bootloader partition.
> The partion must have been unallocated? or hfs? in its previous existence.

I was bitten by a similar problem... the installer formats (mkofboot's) the
first boot partition only. If you still have old ones (or worse, partitions
unintentionally marked as 'boot' partitions), that will mess things up.

> 4) The text installer bombs out under Mount Points" if you have an external
> scsi zip drive *without* a zip disk in it (it seems to scan for all
> possible partitions and does not like empty scsi zip drives).

Yes, that's (unfortunately) correct.

> 5) On systems with lots of drives (both scsi and ata) ybin did not
> correctly identify the MacOS partition so /etc/yaboot.conf was wrong and I
> could not get back into MacOS without editing it. Perhaps a simple menu
> based override? (my Mac OS is on my first ata drive when I used scsi for
> all of my linux partions and the bootloader partition).

A menu override could probably be done... In addition to time constraints
(and "how many people will this affect?"), it was a conscious goal to reduce
the necessary number of installation screens. There's always room for
improvement.

> 6) The XF86Config-4 was not correct for my system (wrong mode lines)
> Luckily I kept a copy of my previous XF86Config and was able to use it to
> set the proper mode lines (B+W rev2 G3 with Apple Studio 17 monitor and
> AtyRage128)

Dan will pick that up (perhaps you could post the original and corrected
modelines?).

-Hollis