Re: After installing YDL 1.2, problems with Xlib: connection to":0.0"refused by server

Subject: Re: After installing YDL 1.2, problems with Xlib: connection to":0.0"refused by server
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 20:11:56 MDT

Hi,

> Oooo what's that? userhelper? that's new!

Actually, userhelper/consolehelper have been around for some time in
RH-style dists.

> So that's what this new thing is. In 1.1, /usr/bin/kppp did not exist. since
> it's first in the path, it gets executed when you say kppp&
> not the same thing at all as 1.1 where /usr/sbin/kppp would just start executing
> and it had to be suid.

suid stuff is bad. The consolehelper approach *should* allow kppp to run
so long as the root password is entered.

> We're almost there, most of the pieces of the puzzle are found, we just need to
> find a few more and put them together to understand what's going on.
>
> What's the right way to set things up? I'm still unsure. I've a feeling that
> most experienced users
> do not use kppp or even kde, so they don't run into this. In anycase, the
> community needs a bit more knowlege of X servers to move away from the xhost
> +localhost solution, and a bit of knowlege about pam and kppp's useage of pam.

I'm looking into a non xhost solution. I think that perhaps kppp's pam
file has a problem.. still looking.

Regards,
Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 Yellow Dog Linux
 http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

 Black Lab Linux
 Advanced Workstations and Parallel Solutions
 http://www.blacklablinux.com/