/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S91atalk start

Subject: /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S91atalk start
From: jsnow (jsnow@nypl.org )
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 10:01:37 MDT

/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S91atalk start
starts netatalk, I think;
but i cant seem to find the service from a mac chooser on the lan

and I get a response on the command line:
(backrounded)
Usage: nbprgstr: obj:type@zone

what command can I use to see that it is actually running?

from reading:

http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/
I figure I have all the right files in my
/etc/atalk directory

have added lines:

home
/imac "imac"

to AppleVolumes.default

did I need to export those directories somehow-other too?
I have the imac-mac side partition mounted with
mkdir /imac, mount /dev/hda? -t hfs /imac
(and mounted via linuxconf just to make sure)

and of course the file
config
has {imac} where it should

and
my atalkd.conf reads a line

eth0 -seed -phase 2 -address 98.5 -net 98-99 -zone "LINC"

help appreciated, TIA