Re: Formac ProFormance III

Subject: Re: Formac ProFormance III
From: John L Grantham (john@grantham.com)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 05:54:19 MDT

At 10:55 Uhr +0100 14.04.2000, Stephen Hill wrote:
>Are there drivers for the Formac ProFormance III. I want to use one in the
>G4 I'm gonna buy but I also want it to work properly in Linux.

I also have a PF3 card in my beige G3. For now, you're basically out
of luck -- in some ways I wish I hadn't bought it. It's a great card,
but it's basically a Permedia3 chipset clone (you can get Permedia2
and I think Permedia3 support, but it doesn't seem to work with the
card), and a Formac developer recently said rather bluntly in the
macnews.de forum that they aren't interested in developing a PPC
Linux driver.

You'd probably be much better off getting an ATI or Voodoo3 card
IMHO. At least you can use them both with little to no trouble under
Linux and Mac OS. The Voodoo3 support isn't quite done yet AFAIK (you
have to get a special X server for it at the moment), but some people
apparently are using it and are happy. Your best best in terms of
support is probably an ATI card of some kind, or at least that's my
guess.

cya

John

--