Re: YDL 1.2 on new G4

Subject: Re: YDL 1.2 on new G4
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 16:25:03 MDT

Tim Duty's bits of Sun, 16 Apr 2000 translated to:

> I was successful in installing YDL 1.2 on a new G4 450, but it was
>not easy. First of all, no version of BootX worked...and I tried them
>all. Second, the documentation is a little weak on using yaboot. I
>finally figured out that I need to use 'hd:5,\yaboot.tbxi ' . I
>determined this by using fdisk during the install to find out where
>MacOS was on the first drive (I have Linux installed on a second
>drive). The only way for me to boot now is to go into open firmware
>(i.e. alt-command O-F) and type 'boot hd:5.\yaboot.tbxi'.
As you found, BootX doesn't work with the new G4's. The newest version
of the YDL installation manual mentions this. It also includes some
documentation on setting up with yaboot. In addition to the yaboot.tbxi
approach, it also includes the script and setup for achieving a bit
more friendly dual boot setup; one where you can hold down the space
bar, or not, to choose your OS.

>#1 problem:
> I can only get 8-bit resolution from the X-server, at a
>noticeably low refresh rate. This is really hard on the eyes,
>especially the refresh rate---gives me a nasty headache. Does anyone
>know if there is a better X-server out there? I tried Xpmac.rev10, but
>it doesn't work on my system.
Again, a new G4 thing. The Rage 128 Pro cards are not fully supported
just yet, but they are working on it. If you can't/don't want to wait for
something official, you can get X working nicely with a kernel patch
and modified X server. There is a lot of info in the archives on the
subject of the new G4's, since a number of us just went through this ;)
Unless the fixes have made it into farther into the main stream,
http://khendricks.ivey.uwo.ca/rage128pro/ is the place to go for the
patches and X server.

>minor problem: .Xdefaults file doesn't seem to do anything. This is
>usually where I put things like
>
> emacs.background: black
> emacs.foreground: lightgray
> etc....
> This file didn't exist, so I created it, but it apparently
>doesn't get read.
Have you tried .Xresources instead? I believe that is what .xinitrc
reads in by default.

Jim