device not mounted

Subject: device not mounted
From: Phil Kirschner (pak1@cec.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 22:46:24 MDT

Hey all. I just tried to install CS1.2 on a 4 gig drive, and I wanted (for
the first time ever) to actually partition up the drive. This caused
problems, and I am watching it install now, but I had to get rid of all the
partitions I made. I wanted to have (in this order):

/ -- 500MB
/swap -- 1GB
/usr -- 1GB
/home -- 1300MB
/var -- 500MB

It let me do everything in pdisk, then I assigned the mountpoints. When it
went to start installing everything though, it said there was a mount point
error, and that the device was not configured.

Now that I just did an install onto that same drive, using only a / and
/swap partition, I thought it would work. (I also left 2 GB untouched on
the drive this time.) When I just tried to boot into Linux, I get these
errors:

attempt to access beyone end of device
08:05: rw=0, want=3883031, limit=2097152
dev 08:05 blksize1024 blocknr=3883030 sector=7766060 size=1024 count=1
EXT-fs error (device(8,5)): ext2_read_inode: unable to read inode block -
    inode=970753, block=3993030
.
.
.
Activating swap partitions swapon: /dev/sda6: Invalid argument [FAILED]
.
.
Checking root filesystem
/dev/sda5: The filesystem size (according to superblock) is 4462143 blocks
The physical size of the device is 2097152 blocks
Either the superblock or the partition is likely to be corrupt!
.
.
/dev/sda5: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

Get the point? Does this mean I have a bad drive? Did I mess up something
in pdisk?

HELP ME! I WANT TO GET THIS INSTALL WORKING!

-Phil

--

A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of the lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing through the minds of either.