Re: bash files

Subject: Re: bash files
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 17:30:35 MDT

Phil Kirschner's bits of Fri, 21 Apr 2000 translated to:

>Hey all. I just created a new user in CS1.2 yesterday, which was only going
>to run one thing out of a cron job. Anyway, when I did a 'crontab -e', it
>said:
>
>no crontab for myuser - using an empty one
>/bin/shL /usr/ucb/vi: No such file or directory
>crontab: "/user/ucb/vi" exited with status 127
>
>This led me to believe that something was amiss with the environment
>variables, and that is when I noticed that the user I created did not have a
>..bashrc file, nor a .bash_profile file in its directory. I found that to be
>a little odd.
>
>Is there some reason that these files are not getting created?

The cron error is a problem with the environment, as you suspected.
Specifically, you need to make sure either EDITOR or VISUAL is set
appropriately. Looks like the default config leaves them unset.

As for user .bashrc and .bash_profile, I think that part is just left
to the administrator or user. If they don't exist, you just get the
default settings in /etc/profile and /etc/bashrc. If you want something
installed automatically when a new user is created, generate the files
and add them to /etc/skel

Jim