Re: no sound using a B&W G3 with CS 1.1 and kernel 2.2.6-16 (still)

Subject: Re: no sound using a B&W G3 with CS 1.1 and kernel 2.2.6-16 (still)
From: Evan Read (eread@netaccess.co.nz)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 06:44:45 MDT

But surely the sound module will need to be there first ;)

Robert,

If you compiled the kernel yourself, go into the current linux source
directory (by convention you symlinked it to /usr/src/linux) and run
make menuconfig. See if "dmasound" support is enabled (either built in or
via module support). Perhaps you would like to switch from off or module
to "built in".

If you got this thing pre-compiled, then someone screwed up ;) I would go
to kernel.org, download your own and compile it. You can keep the
defaults and everything should compile cleanly. If you are using a
pre-compiled kernel (perhaps some 2.3 USB code has been patched over) for
a reason, then email the author.

And yeah, in my experience, you are always better off loading Linux from
the BootX extension. Make sure you got the most recent version
(1.2.something ;).

Thanks