Re: SSH Problems Reassessed

Subject: Re: SSH Problems Reassessed
From: Neil Jolly (njolly@home.com)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 15:21:04 MDT

Phil Kirschner wrote:

> OK, this has gotten a little messy. It has been pointed out to me that my
> one post has been split up a bit, so I am going to summarize here.
>
> I installed openssl and openssh from their respective sites. When I had
> finished the install of openssh (as root), it did not work. Since then I
> have made some small changes...
>
> 1) I am using the /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd.init file to start sshd
> automatically. I got that file from the contributed files folder that came
> with openssh.
>
> 2) I am using the /etc/pam.d/sshd.pam file, which was also in the
> contributed files folder.
>
> 3) I added the following lines to /etc/hosts.allow:
> sshd: ALL
> sshdfwd-X11: ALL
>
> These are all the messages I think are noteworthy that I get in various
> places:
>
> When my computer starts up, in /var/log/messages:
> sshd.init: Starting sshd:
> sshd.init: sshd startup succeeded
> sshd.init: ^[[60G <-- Yes, it DOES say that. What is it?
> sshd.init: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22. (Should it be 0.0.0.0?)
> sshd.init: Generating 768 bit RSA key.
> sshd.init:
> rc: Starting sshd.init succeeded
> sshd[420]: RSA key generation complete.

That's all normal.
Before you try to connect from another machine try to connect via ssh to your
own machine. Use "ssh -v seti himy64.wuh.wustl.edu", and see what happens.
Once you are able to login to your own machine you can start debugging the
remote connections.

--
"Computers let you make more mistakes faster than any other
invention in human history, with the possible exception of

Mitch Radcliffe