Re: HELP please!!

Subject: Re: HELP please!!
From: Joseph Iovinelli (jaiovinelli@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 17:42:14 MDT

on 4/27/00 4:58 PM, Dave A. Meyer at smooth@cyberdude.com wrote:

> I been trying for several days to install YDL Champion 1.2 and cannot get it
> done. I am not trying to install from a burned CD either, these were
> ordered directly for TerraSoft.
>

> My machine is a G4 500 with two IDE HD's, (one a 10G and one a 20G). Here
> are the problems I am encountering.
>

> When trying to use yaboot directly from the CD I get a messages saying
> "cannot open device (cd:0) image not found" Of course I get to "boot:"
> prompt, but hitting enter does nothing but give me the above message over
> and over again. Tab presents me with path options, but I have no idea what
> that would be. Excuse my ignorance, but I am a total newbie to the Linux
> world.
>

> If I use BootX, I get completely different problems.
>
> It starts to go all the way through the process of the Installation dialog
> and when it gets to USB devices it gives me an error saying USB device not
> responding and then keeps going until I get all sorts of errors when it gets
> to hda, hdb, hdc, and so on with an interrupt error. Eventually it will
> get all the way through the interrupt errors and get to the first screen
> that says about YDL and to press enter to continue the installation. Well
> since my USB keyboard does not appear to be working, I cannot hit enter.
> Needless to say this is very frustrating. I have tried switching USB ports
> back and forth, but no change.
>

> I would appreciate any help that anyone could provide as I was assured by
> Kai Staats that this would work on my system when I talked to him before I
> even ordered it over a month ago.
>

> Thank you in advance.
>
> Dave

Hey Dave,

I had no luck with BootX, unless they changed something lately it will not
work with a G4. Yaboot is your only way to go.

I had no problem with my G4 booting off the CD, try zapping the PRAM.

Did both drives come with the G(wiz)4? If not when you installed the second
drive did you make sue to set the DIP to a slave? Is your CD drive the
internal or do you have another on your SCSI chain?

Your Yaboot file from the CD reads:

init-message = "\nWelcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit <TAB> for boot
options.\n\n"
timeout = 150
default = install

image = cd:,\\\\vmlinux
    label = install
    initrd = cd:,\\\\ramdisk.image.gz
    novideo

As far as your HD that you are installing (which could be the problem).
Here is what I did (going on my 15th installation).

Make a 50MB make partition on it (I named mine "THE DOG". Leave the rest of
the disk unallocated. Even though you do not heed it for anything if you
make it HFS not HFS+ you can use it to transfer files back.

Another note is set aside a big chunk of Linux and call it disk2 (or
something). When you download paths to try to fix the G4 problems you can
use it for storage. I also use mine for backups of files I switch out.

My drives in fdisk looks like this:

hdb1 MAC DRIVER STUFF
hdb2 MAC DRIVER STUFF
hdb3 MAC DRIVER STUFF
hdb4 MAC DRIVER STUFF
hdb5 MAC DRIVER STUFF
hdb6 MAC DRIVER STUFF
hdb7 MAC DRIVER STUFF
hdb8 Mac Partition
hdb10 root
hdb11 disk2
hdb12 swap

There are a few more G4 bumps. I'll keep an eye out to see if I can help.

/jai

Joseph A. Iovinelli
jai@jaiway.com
<http://www.jaiway.com>