Re: X for the PPC Site

Subject: Re: X for the PPC Site
From: Joseph Iovinelli (jaiovinelli@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 14:20:41 MDT

on 4/29/00 1:35 PM, Neil Jolly at njolly@home.com wrote:

> Jeremy Knope wrote:
>
>> the RPM is fine... rm -rf that directory that it's
>> complaining about... things will be just peachy
>> after.. that's what i got and i removed the
>> complaining file/directory and it installed perfectly
>> try it....
>> -Jeremy
>>

> Is this a common error that most people get? Should I be adding it to the
> instructions?
>

>>> All of the X4 RPMs go in nicely except this one:
>>>
>>> XFree86-4.0-0.6d.ppc.rpm
>>>
>>> Seems HIGHLY important. ;) I get the following
>>> error:
>>>
>>> XFree86
>>> ######################unpacking of archive
>>> failed on file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults:
>>> cpio: unlink failed - Bad
>>> file descriptor
>>>

> --
> "Computers let you make more mistakes faster than any other
> invention in human history, with the possible exception of
> handguns and tequila."
>
> Mitch Radcliffe
>
> Neil Jolly
> http://www.members.home.net/njolly/xppc/index.htm

Neil,
I received it too. P.S. is the upgrade to 2.2.15p19 necessary, I have not
had very much luck with it. I'm using the stock YDL 1.2 kernal.
Oh one more thing. It seems the XF86Config file (HTML sample) has to be
copied before the startx command. Is ok to put it in way in advance or will
something overwrite it, it's easier to edit it in X?

/jai

Joseph A. Iovinelli
jai@jaiway.com
<http://www.jaiway.com>