Re: YDL & OS X

Subject: Re: YDL & OS X
From: Paul J. Schinder (schinder@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 08:31:04 MDT

At 2:52 PM -0500 3/30/01, Peter J Muhlberger wrote:
>Say, does anyone know whether YDL software will for the most part run
>under OS X? I'm esp. interested in postgresql, cvs, bugzilla, & basic
>utilities.

It comes with cvs (I assume it came from the Developer CD).

But with X, I feel like I did using LinuxPPC 4 years ago. I've tried
compiling several things I had lying around which built perfectly
under YDL, and always had problems. openssl didn't compile because
of an error in the Makefile, which doesn't affect Linux, whose ld is
smarter. Fortunately X comes with ssl libraries, but they forgot to
install the include files so I needed the source to get them
installed. perl-5.6.1-TRIAL3 failed more tests than I've seen in
quite a while. gcc-2.95.3 was a non-starter. openssh built and
worked for a while, but now ssh refuses to let me log into the
machine; the logs say "illegal user". I assume that's a NetInfo
problem, but I don't know why it worked for a while and now doesn't.
There are bizarre entries in the logs (a lot of missing tiffs, for
example).

So I wouldn't necessarily count on any individual package in your
list working, except cvs.

>Thanks,
>Peter

Paul Schinder