Re: How to install new kernel - PM 9600 w/ NewerTech G4/400 MaxPowr

Subject: Re: How to install new kernel - PM 9600 w/ NewerTech G4/400 MaxPowr
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@iainstevenson.com)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 13:10:17 MDT

on 1/4/01 4:58 am, Chris Ruprecht at chrup@earthlink.net wrote:

> and I now have a brand new vmlinux in /usr/src/linux which I copied
> to /boot. However, this does not tell BootX that there is a new
> kernel?

You need to copy the kernel (vmlinux) to your Mac boot partition too:

- mount the boot partition as an HFS drive
- copy vmlinux to the folder Linux kernels which is inside the System Folder
(I usually name them eg Yellowdog-2.2.17)
- shutdown linux and reboot
- when the Bootx startup dialog comes up select the new kernel from the drop
down menu and click to start linux

That should be it.

  Iain