Re: Kernel Panic - machine type

Subject: Re: Kernel Panic - machine type
From: Sean Riley (sean@therileys.org)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 11:11:27 MDT

It is the PowerLogix Profiler, it seems the articles are regarding cache so
may not directly relate to your situation, quick search of linuxppc.org
user mailing list (strange search engine BTW) using NewerTech;PowerLogix
yeilds lots of info, here is the one I remembered
<<<<<<<
Hi Pete,

I just booted my machine from the BootX init without the PowerLogix
Profiler installed but *with* BootX configured to turn the backside
cache on. Here's the result of "dmesg | grep L2CR"

L2CR overriden (0xa9100000), backside cache is enabled

So it looks like the Newer Tech init does all that's required to set the
cahce up before BootX transfers control to the kernel.

What's funny about this is that Newer's tech support told me that they
thought the cache wouldn't be enabled in Linux:

No, in LinuxPPC you are not using the backside cache on the card. The
extension or control panel is required to be running in order for the
backside cache to be enabled and while you are in Linux neither of the
two is running. I will pass along your wish for a driver to be
developed to our software engineer.

Regards,
Brian Merchant
Support Technician