Re: Add IP address - still doesn't work!

Subject: Re: Add IP address - still doesn't work!
From: Xavier (cbastos@embratel.net.br)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 22:31:23 MDT

jmmd@nerve.com wrote:

> I tried the solution here---still doesn't work though--can only ping eth0 ....
> maybe some more details? Am new to Linux configs--ie do I change "localhost" in the example below to the name of the localhost?
> Thanks for your time-----Joe
> >
> > On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 jmmd@nerve.com wrote:
> > > I have one ethernet card, and need to add an additional IP address to
> > >this machine for my mailserver.I think i have to create a startup script
> > >somewhere..It was fairly straightforward in OS X, (about only thing that
> > >was..) How can I accomplish this? Thanks....Joe
> >
> > cp /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0\:1
> >
> > vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0\:1
> >
> > Setup the DEVICE and IP addresses accordingly, here is an example of both
> > of these files:
> >
> > [root@localhost network-scripts]# more ifcfg-eth0
> > DEVICE=eth0
> > IPADDR=192.168.0.9
> > NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> > NETWORK=192.168.0.0
> > ONBOOT=yes
> > [root@localhost network-scripts]# more ifcfg-
> > DEVICE=eth0:1
> > IPADDR=192.168.0.10
> > NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> > NETWORK=192.168.0.0
> > BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
> > ONBOOT=yes
> >

> > Then /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Chris
>
> ... . . . . . . . . . . .
> Get your own free @nerve.com email address at http://www.nervecenter.com

Hi,
I'm quite sure that is due to you trying to configure eth0\:1 and not
eth0:1
Try to rename your file to eth0:1 and after restart your network
service, also
only as advisement, you can't have two interfaces
at the same host on the same network, it doesn't work properly.

Best regards,
Carlos Xavier.