Re: Help with Netatalk (routing)

Subject: Re: Help with Netatalk (routing)
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 17:17:08 MDT

John Duarte wrote:

> I am trying to set up two networks as appletalk zones. I have tried various
> arguments in atalkd.conf with no success. Here is what I'm currently trying:
>
> eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 1000-1001 -addr 1000.10 -zone "admin" -zone "Office"
> eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 2000-2001 -addr 2000.10 -zone "admin" -zone "EPress"
>
> When I try to restart atalk it fails with:
> bind: Cannon assign requested address.

You haven't given your networks much of a range - try changing 1000-1001
to 1000-1999 and 2000-2001 to 2000-2999.

Also - -seed means "I want this config like this, fail if you cannot
manage it". The trouble is that if other appletalk devices have started
up already, and their networks fall outside the ranges you want,
netatalk follows the -seed command and bombs out.

The solution is to either power down all your appletalk devices, start
netatalk, then start them up again, or if this is not possible, briefly
disconnect the netatalk machine from the network, start netatalk,
reconnect the network cables, then restart each appletalk device so that
they reconfigure themselves to "fit in" with the netatalk config. In
theory this need only be done once - keep your netatalk machine on a UPS
so that if there is a power failure you don't get hassles (I am not sure
if the other appletalk devices will remember their network settings on
restart, if they do - no problem, but if not...)

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street