Re: Powerbook 5300 CE supported??

Subject: Re: Powerbook 5300 CE supported??
From: deadbeef (deadbeef@mac.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 12:02:52 MDT

On Sunday, April 8, 2001, at 09:37 , Carolyn Jean Fairman wrote:

> The powerbook 3500 is listed which I don't think exists, does this
> really mean the 5300 is? Could someone let me know?

The PowerBook 3500 is the original PowerBook G3 in the PowerBook 3400
form factor. It predates the PowerBook G3 Series (Wallstreet). The name
was changed at the last minute; if you purchased early, the battery
actually said PowerBook 3500 on it rather than PowerBook G3. The
PowerBook G3 supported by all the major distributions.

The PowerBook 5300 does not have Open Firmware. The only Linux that
runs on the PB 5300 is MkLinux. You cannot use PCMCIA nor SCSI, so it
is of limited usefulness. I would not recommend running Linux on a
PowerBook 5300.