Re: Help with Netatalk (routing)

Subject: Re: Help with Netatalk (routing)
From: John Duarte (john@keylitho.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 11:04:48 MDT

>John Duarte wrote:
>
>> I am trying to set up two networks as appletalk zones. I have tried various
>> arguments in atalkd.conf with no success. Here is what I'm currently trying:
>>
>> eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 1000-1001 -addr 1000.10 -zone "admin" -zone
>>"Office"
>> eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 2000-2001 -addr 2000.10 -zone "admin" -zone
>>"EPress"
>>
>> When I try to restart atalk it fails with:
>> bind: Cannon assign requested address.
>
>You haven't given your networks much of a range - try changing 1000-1001
>to 1000-1999 and 2000-2001 to 2000-2999.
>
>Also - -seed means "I want this config like this, fail if you cannot
>manage it". The trouble is that if other appletalk devices have started
>up already, and their networks fall outside the ranges you want,
>netatalk follows the -seed command and bombs out.
>
>The solution is to either power down all your appletalk devices, start
>netatalk, then start them up again, or if this is not possible, briefly
>disconnect the netatalk machine from the network, start netatalk,
>reconnect the network cables, then restart each appletalk device so that
>they reconfigure themselves to "fit in" with the netatalk config. In
>theory this need only be done once - keep your netatalk machine on a UPS
>so that if there is a power failure you don't get hassles (I am not sure
>if the other appletalk devices will remember their network settings on
>restart, if they do - no problem, but if not...)
>
>Regards,
>Graham

I tried disconnecting the network cables. When I start atalk it comes up
with wth following message:

Transmit timed out, status e4000000 CSR12 45e1d0cc, resetting...

I then reconnected the cables. The 1000-1001 net range worked fine, but the
appletalk services in the 2000-2001 range would drop about every 10
seconds. How do I get a stable connection on eth1? It's not the hardware,
because I can simply put an eth0 or an eth1 in atalkd.conf and everything
works fine.

Thanks,
John

John Duarte