Re: Updating packages.........

Subject: Re: Updating packages.........
From: Donn (donntarris@home.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 02:16:29 MDT

AC-Done wrote:

> Is linux or even YD 2.0 dead?

As an experiment (which most of my linux installing has been up to this
point), I have tried and succeeded in loading the version 1.2.17xxx
version of YDL and had networking, keyboard, monitor and mouse all
working fine.
When I updated to 1.2.18xxx, the changes in the way that the system sees
the monitor and the mouse won't let me get that configuration working.
It appears the version of X that ships with the 1.2.1 YDL is quite old
and that may even be some of my particular problems encountered.
Kernel 2.4.xxx is only a dream at this point for me, but sounds like it
would solve some issues surrounding peripherals and connections, even on
my old 9500/132/G3 upgraded PPC.
After yet another round of experimenting going back to xxx.17xxx and
upping to xxx.18xxx and then not able to easily get back because I
didn't copy a couple of files over to my backup, I decided to (perhaps
temporarily, as I'm in mid-linux boot at this moment) try downloading
the offering from LinuxPPC and try their graphic installation process.
The download worked fine, the CD burn went fine, and the install
appeared to work... now I just have to boot into it to see if it did
work, and find out what versions of everything I've got...

I would agree that it needs to work, from installation on up for more
people to jump on board. Most are not as willing as I am to "destroy"
and existing machine setup to "play" around and see if they can get
something to work. I think we must remember though that this is
generally a magnanamous offering from a group of primarily volunteer
types AND that PPCs in the marketplace are far outnumbered by the
dreaded Intel army... but I would love to see the "little" 'guin win in
the end, including on PPCs (because I'm a Mac lover). It has been a fun
learning curve basically... still have hair on my head!

I'll keep an eye on what all of you are doing in YDL land - I'm off for
now. I thank all of you who did reply to some of my requests for help,
but mostly my own cries (really more like whispers) for help went unanswered...

Cheers! and good luck!!
Sincerely,
Donn Tarris
Maple Ridge BC