Re: Updating packages.........

Subject: Re: Updating packages.........
From: Donn Tarris (donntarris@home.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 11:08:07 MDT

Pete Peters wrote:

> ...Just rejoined the list, so not familiar w/ the complete thread. I would
> like to say that I've found the YDL list to be a *HECK* of a lot more
> responsive that the LinuxPPC list. I tried the 1999 version that came w/ my
> PowerLogix G3 card. It installed fine, but I needed to upgrade to the 2000
> version. If you think going from the 2.2.17 kernel to 2.2.18 was bad...

Thank you for the reply Pete! Yes, it turned out that the install went
fine on the LinuxPPC 2000 trial, but the kernel is quite old and when I
tried to update the Gnome apps it began to get flakey. So, I'm back in
YDL 1.2.1, kernel 2.2.17-0.6.1 land updated with the latest Gnome apps
and yup'd to the gills.
My difficulty with upgrading to the kernel 2.2.18 is that as soon as I
run the new mouseconfig included for the input layer, I lose my
monitor... I've had no real feedback on this so far, but perhaps with
running a third party monitor it's not easy for someone to troubleshoot
when they're not sitting at my machine.

> ...As for X, I think XF3.3.6 is what was included, and there *ARE* a bunch of
> hoops to jump through to go to XF4.x, especially if you want to roll back.
> I myself was still using Xpmac-rev10 because I could *NEVER* get XF3.x to
> work. I'm sure much of this was due to my Rage128 Orion video card.
> Unfortunately, I have everything in storage now pending moving, so can't
> look anything up.

Yes, XF3.3.6 is the included one and yes, I did attempt going up to
XF4.x with no luck...

> ...I also agree that getting a simple GUI installer to work is critical to
> wider acceptance of YDL, and, as a software tester, can understand the
> frustrations at Terra Soft that are delaying final release...

Being a software developer I can understand that frustration as well...
I don't really mind all of the experimenting because I have learned a
lot doing it, but having lists as the only level of support on software
(as even some of the biggies have reduced their support to) isn't the
best thing for the end-users. I will be very interested in seeing the
graphical installer for the new YDL 2. Hopefully, for new users
especially, there will be "template" installs based on what you want to
DO with your computer rather than you having to decide yourself what
"ypbind" does... (just an example).
I don't know how many YDL users are looking for the same thing I am,
perhaps participants on the list would give a quick 2 cents.

I want to be able to run Mac OS9.04 or OS 9.1 in Mac-On-Linux using an
internal (private) IP so that I can use the TCP/IP in that environment
to connect to the internet, while the Linux side of the machine is
operating as a server for a second IP address/web site as well as a main
gateway to the outside world for my private network of the MOL side and
two other (or how ever many I may have) Macs on an ethernet network. I
think it should be able to do that for me, in fact I have had that
working on one occasion as far as serving one website/IP from the Linux
side while FileMaker Pro was serving up a second website/IP from the MOL
side. I just never got the private network up and running, although I
could see the linux machine on the chooser of the other macs, just
nothing to "choose"...

Cheers,
Donn Tarris
Tarris Innovations