Re: Apache + PHP in 2.0?

Subject: Re: Apache + PHP in 2.0?
From: Charles Eggers (ceggers@solitonresearch.com)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 21:36:47 MDT

>Wondering what version of Apache will ship with v 2 YDL. Will PHP 4 be
>included?
>
>I currently have non-RPM 1.3.14 Apache and non-RPM PHP 4 running. Don't know
>how to get them to talk to each other (compile-time option?). Am studying a
>dozen things right now including PERL, PHP, and Sendmail. Don't have time to
>research it.
>
>Just wondering if I can wait for YDL 2 and have Apache/PHP4 intsall easily.

I recently installed Apache 1.3.19 and PHP 4.0 from source that I
downloaded. It took a while and a few tries, plus a lot of digging
through the docs, and when it was finally done I made up some notes,
printed them out, and pasted them in my notebook to avoid having to
relearn everything at another time. I've included those notes below
and hope that they may be of use to you, though I can't articulate
any differences between Apache 1.3.14 and 1.3.19. You might be best
off just downloading the newer version and starting from there.

I mention below editing httpd.conf. I installed all this stuff in
/usr/local, which is not where YDL puts the Apache stuff. So, in
addition to setting some directives in httpd.conf (i.e.,
DocumentRoot, ScriptAlias, and a couple of others, I think), you'll
need to disable the existing Apache installation, if it's still on
your machine. I also see in some other notes that I disabled PHP
3.0.14, which I think came with YDL. You may or may not want/need to
do this.

There is a reference ot a FAQ at php.net, which you'll need to check out.

At this point, though, it's all humming happily along on my machine.

Good luck!
Chuck Eggers

Building Apache 1.3.19 and PHP 4.0 Redux

See apache and php README and INSTALL files for details.

Main idea:
* build Apache
* build PHP4

Building Apache
* this was all done in /usr/local/
* download apache
* gunzip/untar into /usr/local/apache_1.3.19/
* # configure and build commands for apache for DSO

        ./configure --htdocsdir=/home/httpd/html \
                --cgidir=/home/httpd/cgi-bin \
                --enable-shared=max
        make
        make install
* edit httpd.conf as needed

Building PHP4
* make sure that path to libmysqlclient.so is in /etc/ld.so.conf
- if not, enter it. close file, run ldconfig
* make sure script file bin/apxs is up to date with changes from PHP
online FAQ (www.php.net/FAQ.php#6.11)
        - enter values for three compile/link flags
* # configure and build commands for PHP for apache DSO

* ./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql
                  --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs
make clean (if this isn't the first build)
make
make install

* copy php.ini-dist to /usr/local/lib/php.ini and edit as needed (it
hasn't needed it so far)
* edit httpd.conf and make sure that LoadModule command in place for
PHP and other stuff (see PHP INSTALL file)

--
Charles E. Eggers, President
Soliton Research, Inc.