Re: OS X drain

Subject: Re: OS X drain
From: Paul J. Schinder (schinder@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 11:24:06 MDT

At 9:36 AM -0700 4/16/01, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>On Monday, April 16, 2001, at 09:28 AM, Randall Perry wrote:
>
>>Guess the reason this list is so dead lately is the same reason the OS X
>>lists are putting out a dozen digests a day %(
>>

>probably true, but not in the way you're likely thinking.
>
>Over in OSXland, there are new releases to be hashed over and
>problems to be worked out.

I'll say. OS X has been on my iMac for a few weeks now, and I feel
exactly like I did 4-5 years ago when I started using PowerPC Linux.
It's a struggle, sometimes a major one, to get things to compile and
run under OS X. Frequently I have to settle and install things that
are failing their included tests. XFree86 works, but it's clunky
having to switch back and forth between Aqua and XFree.

Contrast this to YDL where having something fail to compile or even
fail tests is very rare these days.

>Here -- there's a lot of waiting for YDL 2.0, not much to be said
>until it hits the streets. Once it does, expect things to pick up
>again.
>
>I know I'm not moving my production server to OS X any time soon. I
>may eventually (or I may not), but I'm in no hurry.

No way would I ever install OS X on my wife's beige G3. Linux is far
more suitable for what we do with the machine that Mac OS X. (My
Performa 6400 running YDL, of course, can't run OS X anyway). I'll
continue using OS X on the iMac because I need an OS that will handle
our peripherals. We have a UMAX USB scanner, in particular, which
doesn't work yet but I'm sure will in the near future under OS X.
SANE doesn't support it. And it was a real surprise to plug my new
Fujufilm 2400 digital camera into the iMac and watch Picture Capture
start up and do its thing automatically. Eventually I suppose our
iBook will get Mac OS X. But for the moment I find OS X to be pretty
strange both as a Unix and as a Mac OS (I miss the application menu).

>--
>Chuq Von Rospach, Internet Gnome <http://www.chuqui.com>
>[<chuqui@plaidworks.com> = <me@chuqui.com> = <chuq@apple.com>]
>Yes, yes, I've finally finished my home page. Lucky you.
>
>I'll try being nicer if you'll try being
>smarter.

Paul Schinder
schinder@pobox.com