Re: YDL 2.0 - and download speed.

Subject: Re: YDL 2.0 - and download speed.
From: Chris Ruprecht (cruprech@compucom.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 07:53:41 MDT

Help is on the way ... I just got notified, that my apartment complex has been wired for high-speed internet access. There is a demo this evening and if I like it, they will install for free within 72 hours, first month free. Looks good, but it also looks like I need to get a second ethernet card for my Linux box as they only allow 3 machines at the time ... my RedHat Linux machine, the YDL box, my PowerBook, my wife's PowerBook plus the two Newtons from time to time plus the JetDirect thing - looks like a lot more than 3 machines to me. So I have to configure the RedHat box as a router (because it ALWAYS runs Linux, there is no other OS on the machine, the YDL box runs MacOS as well for the dnetc client - which runs in G4 mode (crunch-vec) under MacOS but only in G3 mode (lintilla) under YDL).

So, soon, I'll be able to d/l everything I need at 512 Kbit/sec ... :-).

Best regards,
Chris

--
Chris Ruprecht
(972) 856-3891

>>> minfrin@sharp.fm 04/16/01 04:50PM >>> Chris Ruprecht wrote:

> Well, I didn't know about them to begin with ;-) - and then, I seem > to be on one of the best phone lines, Bell can provide - on a good day, > I can manage 26.4 KBit/sec over a 56K modem.

wget is your friend.

I languish in the same boat - wget can attempt the download, and automatically retry if the line drops from where you left off. Shortcut: "wget -c URL".

Regards, Graham -- ----------------------------------------- minfrin@sharp.fm "There's a moon over Bourbon Street tonight..."