Darwin 1.3.1?

Subject: Darwin 1.3.1?
From: Chris Ruprecht (cruprech@compucom.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 12:33:09 MDT

Apple has posted Darwin 1.3.1 as a free download. I guess, it's as good as any other BSD UNIX but then, it would not run on my 9600 as it's not on the OS X supported list - but who knows, I might give it a try.

But, they also posted an Intel version of Darwin which absolutely surprises me. What are their plans with that? Are they doing any Mac OS X ports to the Intel platform? There were rumors they would, but why? The Pentium, even if you take a 1.2 GHz version, doesn't have the horsepower to support some of the applications (like iDVD I think it's called). What are they up to with such a port? Are they trying to cut into the Linux market, and if so, what for? Or are they trying to cut into the Windows Market? Certainly not with a graphics-less UNIX OS ...

Any ideas, anybody?

Best regards,
Chris

--