Re: Apache + PHP in 2.0?

Subject: Re: Apache + PHP in 2.0?
From: Charles Eggers (ceggers@solitonresearch.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 12:59:48 MDT

>On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Randall Perry wrote:
>>> From: Charles Eggers <ceggers@solitonresearch.com>
>>> I recently installed Apache 1.3.19 and PHP 4.0 from source that I
>>>downloaded.
>>> It took a while and a few tries, plus a lot of digging through
>>>the docs, and
>>> when it was finally done I made up some notes, printed them out, and pasted
>>> them in my notebook to avoid having to relearn everything at another time.
>>
>>Followed your instructions and also checked out the FAQ and install docs.
>>The PHP docs said to do the following:
>>
>>The only thing left to do is to edit your httpd.conf file and make sure the
>>PHP 4 mime type is there and uncommented. You need a line that looks like
>>this:
>>
>> AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
>>
>>Well, Apache & PHP are talking now, but instead of serving .php pages,
>>they're treated as file downloads when accessed through a web browser.
>>
>>What's that about?
> >

>Basic question, but you did send a SIGTERM to restart apache, right? I
>forget to do that all the time.

Yep, can't forget that! For grins, I made up a little csh script
that invokes init.d/http to restart the apache server. It runs the
same startup procedure as during the system boot, and seems to do the
job cleanly.

#!/bin/csh
echo "Restarting apache server"
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart

I'm at a loss, otherwise, as to why you're getting downloads instead
of PHP processing. There are a couple of other lines in httpd.conf
that have to do with loading the PHP module (i.e., LoadModule and
AddModule), but those should have been inserted sometime during the
build process.

Ideas, anyone?

Chuck

--