Re: OK, now what?

Subject: Re: OK, now what?
From: Niall Dalton (ndalton@ics.uci.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 21 2001 - 16:01:29 MDT

> I'm a long-time mac and windows user, but have NO unix/linux experience.
> What can I do on this new OS?
>
> In particular I'm looking to archive my CD selection on MP3s using L.A.M.E.
> encoding, and also internet (email, research, surfing, reading).
>
> How do I get started on the above?

Assuming you've logged in, hopefully as a normal
user rather than root, try startx.
If you are lucky, that should bring up X and start
which ever desktop was installed. Probably KDE or
Gnome.

If that works, then you also probably have plenty
of tools installed for what you want to do. I think
YDL installs netscape for web/mail/news, but you may
prefer to use other smaller, nicer imho, apps.
xmms is ok for playing MP3s, can't think of a good
cd ripper off the top of my head, but I'm sure there
are loads.

Welcome to linux:-)

niall, a newbie YDL user, but longtime unix user.