Re: ctl-alt-del...

Subject: Re: ctl-alt-del...
From: Black (cpa@ece.cmu.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 08:59:25 MDT

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Jonathan Bertsch wrote:

> > Now, I have had my X-server crap out on me a number of times,
> > either from some config error (so I just hung up with a grey screen) or
> > from something further down the line. ctl-atl-delete has never worked for
> > me. Is there snything else I can do other then just unplugging and popping
> > the battery to quit or restart the X-server or reboot the machine? Or
> > baring that, some way to change my keymappings so that this actually
> > works?
>
> As for shutting down your x server, that depends on your window manager,
> but most have a some sort of log out, or quit option in a menu. And if you
> want to re-boot your machine, in a terminal window type /sbin/shutdown -r
> now and if you want to shut it down do, /sbin/shutdown -h now also do man
> shutdown for more detailed options.

I think perhaps you misunderstood my question. I know how to shutdown/
reboot my machine and exit out of my window manager. My question is what
do I do when I can't do any of those things? In theory, when I can't do
any of the normal ways of getting out of X-windows, I can press cntl-alt
backspace and it will dump me out of X. With my current setup, this isn't
the case. I would like to know how to get it setup so that this _does_
work.

-Christopher