Re: Weird Port Open

Subject: Re: Weird Port Open
christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 09:31:35 MDT

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Patrick J. Larkin wrote:
>> Did you try simply telnet'ing to the port to see what you get?
>
>I have telnet turned off.

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Patrick J. Larkin wrote:
>> Did you try simply telnet'ing to the port to see what you get?
>
>I have telnet turned off.

 When you 'turn telnet off' you simply don't have a daemon listening on
port 23. You can still telnet to other ports however. Example: try the
following:

 Type 'telnet hostname.domain.com 80' to telnet to port 80 of that
machine. If there is a web server, it will wait for another
statement. Type the following 'HEAD / HTTP/1.0' (no quotes). Here is an
example of my server:

[chris@saraswati chris]$ telnet www.mcgill.ca 80
Trying 132.216.67.18...
Connected to cochise.wcg.mcgill.ca.