Re: YDL on iBook problems

Subject: Re: YDL on iBook problems
From: NeedtoKnow Basisonly (needtoknow@alltel.net)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 22:34:34 MDT

on 20010429 1713, Fabio Congiu at congiu.f@tiscalinet.it wrote:

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Fabio <congiu.f@tiscalinet.it>
A: congiu.f@tiscalinet.it <congiu.f@tiscalinet.it>
Data: domenica 29 aprile 2001 15.54
Oggetto: FW: YDL on iBook problems

>----------
>Da: NeedtoKnow Basisonly <needtoknow@alltel.net>
>Risposta: yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com
>Data: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 03:37:46 -0400
>A: <yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com>
>Cc: <congiu.f@tiscalinet.it>, <ted_46@hotmail.com>
>Oggetto: Re: YDL on iBook problems
>
>on 20400206 0410, Fabio at congiu.f@tiscalinet.it wrote:
>
>> I try to install YDL 1.2 on my new iBook, I try both yaboot and bootx
but,
>> after I lunch the installation or reboot which the hold c key the
computer
>> power off.
>> May somebody help me?
>> Thanks
>> Fabio
>>
>Salutations,
>I have the answer, I use a 366SE iBook, & you will use Yaboot.
>1. print this email out 2. Back up all data. 3. Install iBook Restore CD &
>RESTART holding C-key down. 4. From CD Utilities pick DRIVE SETUP -
>FUNCTIONS- INITIALZATION OPTIONS.
>Check Low level format, & Zero all data. Click Mac HD, Initialize - CUSTOM
>SETUP- 1 partition- ok- Initialize.
>Now DRIVE SETUP- unclick Mac HD- FUNCTIONS- INITIALZATION OPTIONS- unclick
>Low level format, & Zero all data- ok
>FUNCTIONS- TEST DISK.
>Now DRIVE SETUP- Initialize - CUSTOM SETUP- 3 partitions
>[ 1- MAC EXTENDED ??GB 2- A/UX ROOT 2GB or so 3- A/UX SWAP 128MB MAX! must
>equal total if hard drive when you add all 3.]
>OK- INITIALIZE
>Now back out to iBook Restore CD- APPLE SOFTWARE RESTORE- CLICK
>ERASE- RESTORE.
>Now setup iBook.
>RESTART
>Install YDL(YellowDogLinux) CD- click on cd image.
>From the Install Folder INSATLL: RAMDISK.IMAGE.GZ, YABOOT, VMLINUX, &
>{YABOOT.CONF, BOOTSCRIPT (from email or @
>http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/faq_solutions.shtml or
>http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/bootfiles/)}
>RESTART C-KEY DOWN- follow YDL setup.
>iBook needs to be installed as LINUX-NOVIDEO.
>Hints** ROOT ( / ), AUTHENTICATION CONFIG. CHECK USE SHADOW PASSWORDS.
>Enjoy the show.
>After YDL is done RESTART & HOLD DOWN THE APPLE(COMMAND), OPTION, O, F KEYS
>Once in Firmware TYPE in lower-case!!
>setenv boot-devicehd:,\\bootscript hit RETURN key
>boot hit RETURN key
>RESTART while holding down the SPACEBAR after tone to boot into LINUX.
>GOOD LUCK
>

>I do every thing what you say but YDL setup do not start.
The computer power off.
Maybe because when i pick DRIVE SETUP-OPZIONI-INIZIALIZATION OPTIONS low
level format do not appear selectable?
Infact i cannot initialize in low level format.
If i use pdisk, may i have more opportunity?

Greetings,
You don't have to do a low level format. It just makes the Hard drive less
likely to give you a problem, but if you want to L L F the HD. do this:
RESTART from iBook restore CD - C Key down. Use CD Utilities- DRIVE SETUP
DO NOT SELECT MAC HARDDRIVE! NOTHING IS TO BE HIGHLIGHTED!!
- FUNCTIONS- INITIALZATION OPTIONS- CHECK L L F & ZERO......- Now Click MAC
HD- Initialize - CUSTOM SETUP- 1 partition- ok- Initialize.
NOW FOLLOW AS BE FOR. Make sure you PARITITION HD INTO 3 PARTS.
Good luck
Email me if you still have problem :~}
needtoknow@alltel.net