Re: Kernel Panic on CS 1.2 Install...

Subject: Re: Kernel Panic on CS 1.2 Install...
From: Jeff Ross (jross@rossandgram.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 07:31:18 MDT

This is a follow up message to the problem stated below.

Based on an experience I had last summer installing RedHat 6.2 on an
800MHz Athalon with 2 20 GB IDE drives, we tried doing the installation
without selecting [ ] Check for Bad Blocks during the creation of the ext2
filesystem. Last summer, the installer would crash with a Type 11 error,
but unchecking this option allowed the installer to complete and all was
okay. Last I heard (I'm no longer SA there), the system was still running
fine.

Not selecting [ ] Check for Bad Blocks worked yesterday, too, sort
of. Installation went smoothly and proceeded at a rapid clip. Booting
into Linux, though, was another story.

Kernel panic again, this time shortly after the interactive startup
section of the startup messages. The exact message was "kernel
panic: kernel access of bad pc c0155104 lr c014f8f8 address DC80B000 tsk
rc/138". We tried it twice--each time the kernel panic appeared at the
same place in the startup, but the second time the last bit of the kernel
panic message was rc/152.

As you can see, with the exception of the tsk part of the message, the pc,
lr and addresses are the same. Does this, then, point to a ram failure
and not a drive problem? That 8500 has had a history of bad 128 meg ram
modules, but the MacOS, and a variety of Mac tools like TechTool, do not
ever find a problem with the ram.

I did some research on the Type 11 installation errors I got during the
RedHat installation last summer. Most, it seems, are ram related, but
most of the occurances cited also happened during memory intensive
operations, like kernel compiliations. I'm not sure what there would be
in the disk formatting while checking for bad blocks that would stress the
ram, but then, I'm no kernel guru, either.

I hope somebody can shed some light on what's going on here. I know the
wizards at TerraSoft are all working like fiends trying to get 2.0 out the
door, but, hey, Dan! Does any of this ring a bell at all?

Many thanks,

Jeff Ross