Re: Are there drivers for Jaz USB drives? (YES!!)

Subject: Re: Are there drivers for Jaz USB drives? (YES!!)
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 12:18:14 MDT

on 4/30/01 11:52 PM, Paul J. Lucas at pauljlucas@mac.com wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, William K. Gibson wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me if there are drivers for iomega USB Jaz drives in YDL?
>
> http://www.linux-usb.org/
>
> - Paul

OK! Got it to work!

I went to the above adress and floundered around for about an hour on
different related sites trying to find some relevant information. Most of
the stuff concerned compliling USB into the Kernel. But I have 2.4 and my
usb mouse works, so I figure it is already there. Finally at
http://www.oria.ch/USBZIP250/ I found the key. The web page states that I
must "Load usb-storage module because a 100/250Mb disk is considered as some
MASS STORAGE STUFF !" Hmmm, lets try this:

 modprobe usb-storage

Suddenly my iomega 2G Jaz drive came to life. My powerbook can see the
drive. Now I just had to mount it. I used /dev/sda2 in fstab and mounted it
as /mnt/jaz. Whoopie! I can see it!

One question remains. Was this common knowledge that I missed somehow or are
most people ignorant of this? If the latter, should this be put in the
hardware question page at the YDL site?

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com