trouble with installing dynamic libraries

Subject: trouble with installing dynamic libraries
From: Craig Snoke (craig.snoke@gvox.com)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 08:46:22 MDT

Hello there. This list and it's archives have been very helpful so far, I'm
thinking someone may have run into this problem before.

First, I've been doing UNIX development (mostly Solaris) for a little over a
year, mostly server-side data access routines in C and Java. I picked up YDL
at the MacWorld show and installed it on my UMAX s900 250MHz G3 with great
anticipation. After a few problems getting the video settings right, all's
been well.

So, I've had this burning desire to watch vcd's (video cd's -- mpeg 1 video)
while running Linux. I'm attempting to install mpegtv
(http://www.mpegtv.com) to accomplish this task. I've deduced that the
problems I'm having are not with that software at all (as you'll see), but
more with trying to install an XForms dynamic library called
libforms.so.0.88. After gunziping the .so, I installed it in my /usr/lib
directory (as root). I then ran the 'ldconfig' command to make sure it was
linked up properly. I then ran 'ldconfig -v' to make sure the library was
indeed installed and linked properly, which it was. Just to be sure, I ran
the 'file' command on libforms.so.0.88, and it is indeed a dynamic library,
nothing strange happened in the gunzip process.

When I then attempted to install the mpegtv rpm package, I get an error
about a libforms.so.0.88 dependancy problem - system can't find the library.
So I installed it in a few other places as well, including /lib,
/usr/local/lib, etc. Ran 'ldconfig' again, then the same problem when I
tried to install the rpm. I tried the command-line 'rpm' and the KDE rpm
utility, I forget what it's called. Same dependancy problem. Just to be
sure, I defined and exported an environment variable for LD_LIBRARY_PATH
which included all the directories I've attempted to install the library
into, I defined this variable in my '.bash_profile'. I rebooted.

Ran 'env', saw the value for LD_LIBRARY_PATH, ran 'ldconfig -v', saw that
libforms.so.0.88 was indeed installed, tried again to install the rpm. Same
problem - libforms.so.0.88 not installed. I made sure I downloaded the ppc
version of the library, I did. I downloaded the library from another site
which carries it, installed it, same problems.

I'm now way beyond the desire to watch vcd's in Linux, instead I'm just
wondering how in the world to install a dynamic library and have YDL
recognize it?? Anyone?

Thanks!

-- Craig