kernel scsi bug ?

Subject: kernel scsi bug ?
From: JHS (jhergan@home.com)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 17:41:13 MDT

>> From jhergan@home.com Tue Aug 1 16:24:32 2000
>
>> My system and machine:
>> Mac Performa PowerPc 6360
>> 72 mb ram
>> internal scsi cdrom 0,3,0
>> Panasonic/Matsushita cw7502 0,2,0
>> YellowDog Linux Champion Server 1.2
>> kernel 2.2.16
>> cdrecord 1.8.1-1 and 1.9 (and I tried cdrdao too...)
>
>> Here's what happens:
>
>> When I boot the machine I get system messages telling me that the cdrom and
>> cdwriter are accurately recognized (it identifies the names and types and
>> capabilities of the two scsi drives cd drives). But it doesn't identify
>> them as sg0 and sg1, but rather, as sr0 and sr1. I don't know if that's
>> important...
>
>> When I try a cdrecord -scanbus it accurately identifies both of my cd
>> drives.
>
>> Then I do cdrecord -v -pad -dao -eject dev=0,2,0 *.wav
>> and everything seems to go along smoothly until it starts to send the cue
>> sheet. Then I get the following:
>> mesh: target 2 aborted
>> mesh: interrupt in idle phase?
>> cdrecord input/output error. send_cue_sheet: scsi sendcmd: no error
>> CDB: 5D 00 00 00 00 00 60 00
>> status 0x0 (good status)
>> cmd finished after 8.058s timeout 200s
>
> Are you sure that your SCSI bus is set up correctly?
>
> It looks like it hangs!
>
> Check cabling and termination and otherwise send a bug report
> to the Linux SCSI kernel team.

This is a weird problem because the burner will do TAO and data disks, but
not DAO disks (which the burner is capable of). And I know it's not a
hardware problem because I rebooted into the mac side and burned a DAO disk
with JAM with _no_ problems. But for some odd reason, when I try to burn
DAO I get the same error messages in two different apps (cdrdao and
cdrecord). Weirder still is the fact that I had this _exact_ same setup
working and burning DAO without a hitch before I had to reinstall YDL.
So: I'm guessing that if the burner is accurately recognized at bootup and
by the -scanbus, it's not a system configuration problem. And If it's not a
software configuration problem, and it's also not a hardware problem then it
must be a kernel bug (at least according to the guy who wrote cdrecord, God
bless him).

But I wanted to run this through here first to see if anyone had any ideas.
If it were a kernel bug, wouldn't it have given me problems consistently? I
had this running and burning DAO before I had to reinstall YDL. Suddenly
now there's a kernel bug? I don't know...but then, I'm a rookie at all
this.
Thoughts?
Suggestions?
Thanks