new install

Subject: new install
From: Josh Forman (josh@joshforman.com)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 21:39:05 MDT

hi all. I finally got YDL 1.2 installed and I got some questions.....so get
readeh!

-X server used to launch automatically on startup and would give me an
option to choose a windowing environment. now I login on a text console,
type 'startx' and it brings up something..i think it's kde, but i'm not
sure. how do I get it back the old way?

-I tried running the RH modem configurator (dialup?). When it starts looking
for modems, it freezes...have to force a restart (I guess). DO I really need
to run this? I *do* need to find out where my USB modem is (it's on a hub,
through a usb card), but otherwise, I think I know how to configure a PPP
account.

-also, my resolution maybe screwed up....when I enter the the windowing
environment, I don't see the whole screen like I used to. I messed around in
Xconfigurator, but can't figure out what buttons to push. :( my Monday is
1024x768. (this is probably the easiest problem I have)

also, how do figure out where devices are? like, my modem, or mouse, or
scanner, cd-rom, etc?

Thanks for the help!:)

--
Josh Forman

Webmaster, joshforman.com Palm stuff, Mac stuff, Josh stuff, other stuff Reviews, resources and more!

http://www.joshforman.com/