Kernel Panic caused by?

Subject: Kernel Panic caused by?
From: Prodoehl, Peter (PPRODOEHL@QGRAPH.COM)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 14:54:19 MDT

I've had some problems lately with kernel panics, I've gotten this message:

 Message from syslogd@qcweb at Wed Aug 2 13:00:02 2000 ...
 qcweb kernel: Kernel panic: kernel access of bad area pc c003eb94 lr c0037f84
 address 30 tsk tar/2478

I've got a cron job that tar's something every hour, so I'm assuming that's
the cause, but *why* is it doing it? When this happens I need to do major
system fixing, on the Mac OS side. I erased the Linux Boot (HFS) partition
to fix it last time. This time I can't even boot off of a cd to fix the disk
(even with entensions off) I'm beginning to think either a bad hard drive or
bad ram - it's a PowerMac 8500, so it's got a good few years of heavy use...
(Hmm, actually the drive might even be older, not sure...) Norton came up
clean eventually on the Mac side, and fsch seems to pass ok...

Any thoughts?

Pete