Re: PowerCenter Ethernet problems

Subject: Re: PowerCenter Ethernet problems
From: John Ruschmeyer (jruschme@mac.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 17:49:08 MDT

It's definately not a problem with the physical port. I've actually tried
both... both work well under MacOS. The AAUI works slightly better under
Linux, but is still useless.

From what I can tell, the problem I'm having is pretty much related to the
problems had by 7200 owners trying to use the on-board Ethernet. (Makes
sense, the PowerCenter is the same architecture.) From what I have gathered
on the net, it's some sort of breakage in the Mace driver, possibly
introduced in an early 2.2.x kernel. It may have something to do with
sending long packets, may have something to do with the fact that a hub is
involved, and may have something to do with the early revision of the Mace
chip (9.64) or with how the Ethernet timing is generated (not sure if the
PowerCenter using an ASIC or a separate clock chip).

So far, if someone has the answer to fix it, they are being very quiet about
it. Most everyone seems more concerned with how to install a PCI Ethernet
card.

Does LinuxPPC support USB Ethernet nics?

--
John Ruschmeyer
jruschme@mac.com

From: Tom Tarka <tommy@mp3.com> Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 15:50:11 -0700 Subject: Re: PowerCenter Ethernet problems

John Ruschmeyer wrote:

> Hi! > > I have a PowerComputing PowerCenter (Catalyst architecture, 64mb, 225/45 > 604e processor) running MacOS 8.6. I connect to the Internet using a > Motorola cable modem on the Comcast @Home service. > > I have been trying to install LinuxPPC (both LinuxPPC 2000 and YDL 1.2) and > can get everything to work except for the Ethernet connection to the cable > modem. > > As I recall, both distros are running some version of 2.2.15. In either > case, the problem manifests itself as extremely large numbers of receive > errors, dropped packets and framing errors (as shown by ifconfig eth0). > > I think I can rule out the hub and cables since the exact same hardware > configuration works fine under both MacOS 8.6 and MkLinux DR3 (the latter > removed to allow the LinuxPPC installation).

my Powercenter Pro 180 has both a 10baseT connector and a little apple AUI ethernet adapter. I started having problems with the 10baseT plug (i think it got fried somehow) but popped on an AUI adapter and it works fine. If you have one lying around and/or can borrow one, you might try that.