Powerbook Keyboard FYI

Subject: Powerbook Keyboard FYI
From: Tony Moller (aroooo@mac.com)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 06:27:12 MDT

I just picked up a copy of Yellow Dog at MacWorld - probably the coolest
thing I picked up - and installed it on my PB G3 Bronze, and so far things
are going pretty well. The install went fine, once I disconnected my
external USB hard drive - it kept messing up the partition format.

As an FYI to the crowd, and maybe someone can add this to an FAQ, but on the
powerbooks with multifunction function keys, you have to set the keyboard
control panel in the Mac OS to use the function keys as F keys, and not as
the sound/brightness/num lock/hot keys they normally are. Linux will not
recognize the F keys unless this is done. Once you make the change in the
Mac Control Panel, make sure you reboot back into the MacOS to make sure the
PRAM is set, then you should be able to reboot into Linux with working F
Keys.

Tony