mp3/audio playback problems and other things

Subject: mp3/audio playback problems and other things
From: Craig Snoke (craig.snoke@gvox.com)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 08:20:18 MDT

Hi all. I'm having a strange problem. I have YDL 1.2 installed on a UMAX
s900, and I've enabled sound. I get all the little system beeps and
Enlightenment sounds fine. I can play audio cd's with no problems. However,
I can't seem to play mp3's. When I use xmms (installed with YDL 1.2), even
with the volume maxed out, there is no audio output. I can tell the mp3 file
is playing, though, because the spectrum meters on xmms respond to the mp3
file. Very strange. Is there, perhaps, a problem with audio on GNOME? Not
sure, I have tried everything I can think of. This happened with another
media player as well, but I cannot remember which one.

Also, has anyone else noticed the GNOME is sluggish compared to KDE on PPC?
Maybe I'm having GNOME configuration problems in general.