Re: problem with 2.2.17pre15-ben1 kernel and visor support

Subject: Re: problem with 2.2.17pre15-ben1 kernel and visor support
From: rmasci (rmasci@mac.com)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 14:21:10 MDT

You don't have to always rebuild the whole kernel just to get some
functionality that Ben may have left out. Tonight I needed to network with my
Windows machine and needed smbfs wich was not compiled in the kernel, nor was
there a Module for it. I downloaded the source to the kernel I was running,
ran make xconfig, selected smbfs as amodule and then did a make module;make
module_install. Once the modules were compiled and installed I then did an
insmod /lib/modules/2.2.17pre13-ben1/fs/smbfs. From that point on I could do a
smbmount. Just a tip as I have had some problems building the whole kernel as
well.