Re: Pismo install (was Kernel woes)

Subject: Re: Pismo install (was Kernel woes)
From: Hollis Blanchard (hollis@amulet.co.jp)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 02:30:28 MDT

Fernando Corvinos wrote:

> So easy. I boot the computer perfectly but when the first page of
> the install process appears I can not go on. The computer turns lock
> and I need to restart it.
> I have tried two ways of booting and with booth happens the same.

Ok... you have a Pismo, so you'll need to play with it a little.

1. get Ben's latest kernel from http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh.
2. boot from this kernel. You can do this from the yaboot prompt if you know
what you're doing, but if not you may have to install yaboot to your hard
drive first.
3. during install, mouse and X setup will fail. This is ok. Skip those
steps.
4. after install, log in and install
ftp://devel.linuxppc.org/users/fsirl/R5/RPMS/ppc/dev-2.7.18-3b.ppc.rpm. (I
got this from Ben's page).
5. run mouseconfig and specify a PS/2 mouse.
6. run Xconfigurator. this will take some fussing - start with 8 bit and
work your way up until you find something that works.

-Hollis