Re: bash2

Subject: Re: bash2
From: Hollis Blanchard (hollis@amulet.co.jp)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 08:17:28 MDT

"Michael A. Peters" wrote:

> >So I don't know what your problem was... etcskel should of course be
> >installed.
>
> /etc/skel was there.
> If there is a seperate package for components of /etc/skel I would
> need to argue that that's philosphically wrong. I know of nothing in
> any /etc/skel I've ever seen that wouldn't be better installed by the
> package it directly affects.
>
> those items belong as part of bash- just like /etc/bashrc does.

I'm currently on a Kondara box, which is essentially Japanese-localized RH.
[hollis@sora hollis]$ rpm -ql etcskel
/etc/skel
/etc/skel/.Xdefaults
/etc/skel/.bash_logout
/etc/skel/.bash_profile
/etc/skel/.bashrc

So while I don't disagree with you (it does make sense to me to keep .bashrc
with the bash rpm) I suspect the original problem lies with RedHat. Of
course, I haven't seen the RH7 beta yet, so it may have been addressed.

-Hollis