Many total newbie problems on AGP G4

Subject: Many total newbie problems on AGP G4
From: Daniel Gimpelevich (Daniel_Gimpelevich@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 22:44:23 MDT

I upgraded the kernel (kernal?) from 2.2.15-2.9.0 to 2.2.15pre19, and not
having seen the updated faq_solutions page, installed the RPMs from
dev.linuxppc.org over the existing XFree86 WITHOUT first uninstalling the
old RPMs. Now Xconfiguator won't run, even after I updated the symlink named
"X" so I'm stuck with one screen depth and resolution...

The modules for 2.2.15pre19 don't include one named "dmasound" so the
modprobe line doesn't work. However, ASCII 7 and the internal modem do make
sound, albeit much quieter than in the MacOS...

Opening the RedHat dialer crashes the machine and I have to press the
triangle button to force-reboot. BTW, what's the Linux equivalent of the
3-finger salute? I have tried Cmd-Ctrl-Power, Alt-Ctrl-Delete,
Cmd-Ctrl-Delete, Alt-Ctrl-Power, Alt-Cmd-Power, Alt-Cmd-Delete,
Alt-Cmd-Ctrl-Delete, and Alt-Cmd-Ctrl-Power to no avail...

Kppp connects successfully, but then launches pppd, which refuses to
recognize the connection...

Opening Linux in single-user mode (in both 2.2.15-2.9.0 and 2.2.15pre19)
makes it unresponsive to keyboard and mouse input, so I have to
force-reboot...

Has anyone gotten mol to work on an AGP G4 with XFree4? The stock version of
mol complained that my upgraded kernel (kernal?) was too new and refused to
run, so I upgraded to the latest mol. Now it complains that the kernel is
too old abd refuses to run...

The Caps Lock LED never lights up under Linux, but works under MacOS. Could
this be because I chose mac-us-std instead of mac-us-ext under keyboard type
when installing? I have the original Apple USB Keyboard...

I was put off by the changes in 3-button mouse emulation, so I bought a
Logitech FirstMouse. Has anyone given any thought to somehow making the
scrolling wheel do _something_ under Linux? -DG

--
"No gnu's is good gnu's."   --Gary Gnu, "The Great Space Coaster"