Re: Red Hat logos and other pleadings

Subject: Re: Red Hat logos and other pleadings
From: Hollis Blanchard (hollis@amulet.co.jp)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 01:24:02 MDT

Pat Plummer wrote:

> Is Open Motif compatible with CS 1.2? They boast that they have binaries
> for Linux PPC 2000-- would I be able to use the software if I were to order
> the CD since CS is essentially an RH distribution?

It should work fine, but I'm not sure anyone has tried it yet.
Update: I just tried it and it's fine. The only dependancies are on X
libraries and glibc 2.1. The download was just 2.1 MB... unless you're on a
really slow link that will be faster and less expensive than the CD. (The
-devel package otoh claims to be 22 MB.)

> Also, where would I find the config file that specifies background
> images in the KDE X login screen? I'd sure like to change that Red Hat logo that
> seems to have cropped up to a Yellow Dog : ) . I've looked everywhere (well, obviously
> not *everywhere*), but can't quite figure it out.

Try running kdmconfig. It seems there's no config file to hack. I think the
default setup though is with the YDL logo... I'm not sure how a RH one got
in there for you.

> Finally, I'd like to find a full featured X based email package.

Wouldn't we all.

> Kmail 1.0.29 is OK but seems a little limited and I am unable to get the latest
> version of it to compile. Do any of you have recommendations regarding a package
> you like (aside from Netscape's built in mailer functions) ?

Not really. This is a well-known problem (since most Linuxers get lots of
email). If you go to freshmeat.net you may be able to find something that
suits your needs, but nothing is "good" exactly. Balsa, Spruce, Mahogany,
and a few other names come to mind right now... there are many more, but
most are somewhere near alpha quality. The kmail in KDE2 looks gorgeous
though.

-Hollis