Re: Trouble Mounting CDROM

Subject: Re: Trouble Mounting CDROM
From: Bud Freeman (bud@ttrout.ecology.uga.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 14:58:57 MDT

Dan,

This is what I sort of suspected, but stupidly thought that YUP update took
care of that :-)

>Chances are, you didn't also copy the new vmlinux
>(/boot/vmlinux-2.2.17-0.6.1) to your MacOS system folder or yaboot
>partition.
> From: Dan Burcaw <dburcaw@terraplex.com>

So, I copied the new kernel over the net to another mac, then rebooted the
YDL box in MACOS, then copied the kernel back from the MAC placing it in
system folder, renaming it just vmlinux. Rebooted the system into YDL and
voila. Seems to have worked.

That's a big journey, but perhaps I should have gotten MOL installed and
running first :-(

Hollis

>You may have downloaded the recent kernel, but are you actually running it?
>'uname -a' to check.
I checked the kernel as you suggested and found that indeed I was running
the version distributed on the CDROMS.
>iso9660 was compiled as a module for kernel-2.2.17-0.6.1. Try running
>'depmod -a' followed by 'modprobe isofs' and then try to mount again and let
>us know if that works...

>-Hollis

I then checked the kernel after 'putting it in the right spot' using
uname -a and this was returned: 2.2.17-0.6.1 !!

I was successfully able to mount the "tasty morsels" and will now bumble
along LEARNING much as I go.

thanks again for your collective help. maybe this will also help some
others out !

bud