Many questions: reboot, energysaver, airport, SSH, keyboard shortcuts

Subject: Many questions: reboot, energysaver, airport, SSH, keyboard shortcuts
From: Carole E. Mah (carole@goon.stg.brown.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 16:33:43 MDT

Hi! I'm a newbie, so bear with me.

Here are some questions I have.

I'm running the latest YDL on an iBook (original iBook). I have an airport
card installed. I am using BootX, not yaboot.

Questions:
1.) Once running YDL, how does on reboot into MacOS?
2.) After typing 'shutdown now' and getting the sh prompt, what does one
THEN do to effect a proper (total) shutdown of the machine.

For both of these, I've just been doing ctrl-cmd-delete, which is NOT
good, because the harddrive partitions are not properly unmounted that
way, and it's generally bad practice/last resort even within MacOS.

3.) Ideally, I'd like the iBook to sleep when I shut the lid -- to go into
Energysaver mode automatically when the lid shuts, or at least when a
screensaver engages. I don't want to run down my battery and I don't want
to have to reboot into MacOS just to use EnergySaver. Any clues?

4.) Other than MOL, is there any easy way to switch to MacOS without
rebooting?

5.) How can I get networking to work over the Airport card? I saw a rumor
somewhere in the FAQ or the mailing list archives about a patch ... ?

6.) Where can I get SSH and/or SCP for YDL ? The latest install-ssh that
Dan put on the FTP site was for Champion1.1, and there is none for 1.2 ...
why? And also, as a newbie I would prefer an easily-installed .rpm instead
of a .src.rpm, but I'll take the latter if I have to (what with the
copyright and rsa stuff hanging over our heads). My iBook is really of
little use when I am online unless I have SSH.

7.) Is there a way to pop up the 2nd and 3rd button mouse menus using
keyboard shortcuts? What I mean is this: on my Intel Box running RedHat
5.2 in AfterStep, I am able to just hit the Windows "Start" button to pop
up the menu one would normally access by right-clicking on the desktop. Is
there a way to do this under YDL in any Window manager (Enlightenment,
KDE, etc)? In general I would like to minimize my mouse use, due to
CPT/tendonitis.

Sorry to ask so many questions in only one email -- I should have made it
seven different postings :), sigh.

thanks,
-carole
  Carole E. Mah Carole_Mah@Brown.edu
              Senior Programmer/Analyst
    Brown University Scholarly Technology Group
                  phn 401-863-2669
                  fax 401-863-9313
              http://www.stg.brown.edu/
personal: http://www.stg.brown.edu/staff/carole.html