Re: webmin

Subject: Re: webmin
From: Michael A. Peters (Moonglue@141.com )
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 13:52:28 MDT

I absolutely agree!

The only caution I have about webmin is that I *highly* recommend you
install the perl ssl module needed for webmin to run with encryption.

Otherwise, your username and password gets sent unencrypted to the
webmin server- in plain text, and anyone with a sniffer can easily
root your machine.

Webmin, though, is most definately a very well written piece of
softwware that makes System Administration much less painful.

The reason you had to tell it to ignore OS is because they built the
rpm wrong. They should have built it as a noarch rpm (i.e.
webmin-0.80-1.noarch.rpm) since all it is is a set up perl scripts
etc.

I actually built a noarch webmin rpm (built on intel) and it installs
beautifully on YellowDog.

MKLinux was more akin to Red Hat 5.x- you will have no problems with
webmin if you use Red Hat 6.2 as the specified OS. It may even be a
better fit then choosing MKLinux.

I'm actually thinking about updating webmin to include YDL support as
a native OS, with PPC specific modules for mol and yaBoot
configuration. I'm not a perl person but it would be worthwhile to at
least try...

Michael A. Peters-- http://24.5.29.77/Linux_Pages/
                                http://www.omnilinux.com/