Re: Powerbook install.

Subject: Re: Powerbook install.
From: Conrad M. Hirano (conrad_hirano@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 23:26:12 MDT

on 8/10/00 9:25 PM, Jonathan Bertsch at bertsch.13@osu.edu wrote:

> Has anybody successfully installed YDL on a 2000 Powerbook, the Pismo? I am
> having no success with mine, and one of the reasons I even got the machine was
> because it can run linux.

Here are instructions on how installed YDL on my PowerBook. They're a
little out of date regarding which files to get. You're probably safe just
grabbing the latest versions of yaboot and one of Ben's kernels.

These are instructions for installing Yellow Dog Linux on a Pismo
PowerBook. They should be easily adaptable for installing LinuxPPC.

To avoid cluttering up the instructions with details about partition
numbering, sizing, and ordering and to keep the procedure simple for
beginners, I included specific commands for creating the Linux partitions.
Experienced users should be able to easily modify this procedure to fit
their needs, keeping in mind that there must be no more than sixteen
entries in the partition table.

1. Create an HFS+ partition for running the Mac OS and an HFS
   partition to be shared between the Mac OS and Linux. Leave at
   least 2.2 GB disk space free.

   From now, I will refer to the HFS+ partition as "Macintosh" and the
   HFS partition as "Shared."

2. Set up your Mac OS system on the Macintosh partition.

3. Download the following files to Shared:

      <http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/yaboot_0.6.gz>

      <http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/vmlinux-2.2.15pre14-ben1.gz>
      <http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/System.map-2.2.15pre14-ben1.gz>
      <http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/modules-2.2.15pre14-ben1.tar.gz>

<ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/champion-1.2/ppc/install/ramdisk
.image.gz>

4. Download the files you will need if you don't have the CD. Ethernet
   doesn't work well on Pismo under Linux, so you can't do an FTP
   installation.

   Create a folder called YellowDog on Shared and, in it, create two
   folders called base and RPMS. Into these two folders, download
   the contents of these two directories:

<ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com//pub/yellowdog/champion-1.2/ppc/YellowDog/base
/>

<ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com//pub/yellowdog/champion-1.2/ppc/YellowDog/RPMS
/>

5. Decompress yaboot_0.6.gz and vmlinux-2.2.15pre14-ben1.gz using
   MacGzip or StuffIt Expander. If you use StuffIt Expander, you must
   make sure that the "Convert Text Files to Macintosh Format"
   preference is set to "Never."

6. Rename vmlinux-2.2.15pre14-ben1 to vmlinux.

7. Create a text file on Shared called yaboot.conf using SimpleText
   with the following lines:

      timeout=50
      default=linux

      image=hd:10,vmlinux
          label=linux
          root=/dev/hda11
          append="video=aty128fb:vmode:17"
      image=hd:10,vmlinux
          label=install
          initrd=hd:10,ramdisk.image.gz
          initrd-size=8192
          append="video=aty128fb:vmode:17"

8. Create another text file on Shared called bootinfo with the
   following lines:

      <<CHRP-BOOT>>
      <<COMPATIBLE>>
      PowerBook3,1
      <</COMPATIBLE>>
      <<DESCRIPTION>>
      Linux/PPC Yaboot bootloader
      <</DESCRIPTION>>
      <<BOOT-SCRIPT>>
      " get-key-map" " keyboard" open-dev $call-method
      dup 20 dump
      5 + c@ 08 = if
      " Booting Yaboot ..." cr " boot hd:10,yaboot" eval
      else
      " Booting MacOS ..." cr " boot hd:9,\\:tbxi" eval
      then
      <</BOOT-SCRIPT>>
      <</CHRP-BOOT>>

   This script by Ben Herrenschmidt lets you choose which OS to
   boot when you start or restart your system. If you hold the
   space bar down before the start-up chime ends, yaboot will start;
   if you do nothing, the Mac OS will boot as usual.

   At this point, Shared should contain the following files:

      vmlinux
      ramdisk.image.gz
      yaboot
      yaboot.conf
      bootinfo
      System.map-2.2.15pre14-ben1.gz
      modules-2.2.15pre14-ben1.tar.gz

   and possibly the folder YellowDog and its contents.

   You can get rid of any other files left on Shared.

9. Restart your PowerBook and before the chime ends, hold down the key
   combination Command-Option-O-F to get to the Open Firmware prompt.

10. Issue the following commands:

       setenv boot-device hd:10,bootinfo
       setenv boot-command boot
       boot hd:10,yaboot

    The first two commands set your PowerBook up to use the bootinfo
    script. The last command causes yaboot to start so that you can
    start the installation process.

11. When you get the "boot:" prompt, type "install" and hit return.
    Linux should now boot and the installer will start.

12. Start going through the installation process. When you get to the
    partitioning step, choose pdisk. To create the necessary
    partitions, issue the following commands:

       c 11p 100m root
       c 12p 64m swap
       c 13p 1g usr
       c 14p 1g home

    These commands will create a 100 MB root partition, a 64 MB swap
    partition, a 1 GB usr partition, and a 1 GB home partition and
    write the partition table to the disk. You'll get an error
    message saying the device is busy. That's ok. It's a known bug.

13. Hit Command-Control-Power to restart your PowerBook and hold the
    space bar down until you see the "boot:" prompt.

14. Type "install" and hit return to start the installer.

15. Go through the installation process. If I remember correctly, one
    of the steps fails. You just need to go to the menu to skip that
    step and finish the installation. When you finally make it to the
    end, the system will restart.

16. Hold down the space bar until you get the "boot:" prompt. Hit
    return or just wait, and Linux will boot. This first time, you'll
    get a bunch warning messages about modules not being found and
    having the wrong system map.

17. Login as root and issue the following sets of commands.

    Mount the Shared partition:

       mkdir /shared
       mount /dev/hda10 /shared

    Move the kernel and system map to /boot:

       cd /boot
       rm -f vmlinux System.map
       mv /shared/vmlinux .
       mv /shared/System.map-2.2.15pre14-ben1.gz .
       gunzip System.map-2.2.15pre14-ben1.gz
       ln -s System.map-2.2.15pre14-ben1 System.map

    Install the modules:

       cd /
       tar zxvf /shared/modules-2.2.15pre14-ben1.tar.gz
       cd /shared
       rm modules-2.2.15pre14-ben1.tar.gz

18. Edit yaboot.conf and change line 4 to read

       image=hd:11,/boot/vmlinux

    so that yaboot now loads the copy of the kernel in /boot.

Congratulations! You're (almost) done!

Your system should now be set up to boot into Linux if you hold the
space key down during start up; otherwise, it will boot into the Mac OS.

The built-in speakers do not work yet. If you want sound, you will have
to use external speakers. (This should now work with the latest kernel.)

Ethernet does not work well yet. I've been able to transfer files over
ethernet but only at a dismally slow rate (less than 5 KB/s). (This has
been fixed too, I believe.)

Depending on what steps failed during the installation, you may still
have to configure the mouse/trackpad and may need to install a few
X Window packages and finish setting up X.