Re: Many questions: reboot, energysaver, airport, SSH, keyboard shortcuts

Subject: Re: Many questions: reboot, energysaver, airport, SSH, keyboard shortcuts
From: Maurice van Steensel (mvanstee@baserv.uci.kun.nl)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 00:29:38 MDT

On 10-08-2000 at 18:33, carole@goon.stg.brown.edu (Carole E. Mah) wrote:

> Hi! I'm a newbie, so bear with me.
>
> Here are some questions I have.
>
> I'm running the latest YDL on an iBook (original iBook). I have an airport
> card installed. I am using BootX, not yaboot.
Use yaboot. Then you can use the latest kernels and have sound.
> Questions:
> 1.) Once running YDL, how does on reboot into MacOS?
> 2.) After typing 'shutdown now' and getting the sh prompt, what does one
> THEN do to effect a proper (total) shutdown of the machine.
su to root and type "reboot"
> For both of these, I've just been doing ctrl-cmd-delete, which is NOT
> good, because the harddrive partitions are not properly unmounted that
> way, and it's generally bad practice/last resort even within MacOS.
>
> 3.) Ideally, I'd like the iBook to sleep when I shut the lid -- to go into
> Energysaver mode automatically when the lid shuts, or at least when a
> screensaver engages. I don't want to run down my battery and I don't want
> to have to reboot into MacOS just to use EnergySaver. Any clues?
Don't work yet. You can have pmudmon monitor charge however
> 4.) Other than MOL, is there any easy way to switch to MacOS without
> rebooting?
Nope
> 5.) How can I get networking to work over the Airport card? I saw a rumor
> somewhere in the FAQ or the mailing list archives about a patch ... ?
Latest benh kernels include support for airport. You have to lkoad the driver as
a module. Works like a charm
> 6.) Where can I get SSH and/or SCP for YDL ? The latest install-ssh that
> Dan put on the FTP site was for Champion1.1, and there is none for 1.2 ...
> why? And also, as a newbie I would prefer an easily-installed .rpm instead
> of a .src.rpm, but I'll take the latter if I have to (what with the
> copyright and rsa stuff hanging over our heads). My iBook is really of
> little use when I am online unless I have SSH.
The linuxppc ftp sit has it,
> 7.) Is there a way to pop up the 2nd and 3rd button mouse menus using
> keyboard shortcuts? What I mean is this: on my Intel Box running RedHat
> 5.2 in AfterStep, I am able to just hit the Windows "Start" button to pop
> up the menu one would normally access by right-clicking on the desktop. Is
> there a way to do this under YDL in any Window manager (Enlightenment,
> KDE, etc)? In general I would like to minimize my mouse use, due to
> CPT/tendonitis.
You would have to fiddle with xkb. I wouldn't know - I use a three button
mini-mouse ;)