Re: webmin

Subject: Re: webmin
From: cdowns (cdowns@skillsoft.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 06:58:47 MDT

Howard Shere wrote:

> I urge everyone here to take a look at webmin. I installed it on YDL and it
> is very cool. It allows web based configuration of many things (including
> apache, ftp, users & groups, rebooting the system, editting files, etc.).
>
> I have telnet turned off and just use this to do my admin related stuff. For
> a Mac user like me, this is way better than a command line. Also, I have it
> restricted to a small range of IP addresses for security (this was a simple
> setting when I ran it for the first time).
>
> http://www.webmin.com/webmin/
>
> When installing the package I had to tell it to ignore the architecture and
> OS and then I chose MkLinux when it asked what flavor of Linux I was
> running.
>
> It is very cool.

> Gridz 1.3 ---- www.gridz.com ---- NetSpace will never be the same again
> Howard Shere | Green Dragon Creations | Water Valley Interchange
> President | 301 N. Main St. | P.O. Box 70
> Software Sculptor | Water Valley, MS 38965 | Water Valley, MS 38965
> | hshere@greendragon.com | hshere@watervalley.net
> | www.greendragon.com | www.watervalley.net
> | 1-662-473-4225 | 1-662-473-9209

yes webmin makes using linux very easy for the novice user. but problems will
arise with samba configs and other operations that just have to be done by
command line. my point is if it makes the job easier and works great but using
linux ( or any other unix ) you should know the system. that is why most MCSE
are what they are. you have to think about that one for a minute ~ :)

regards, chris