so slow

Subject: so slow
pjkim@excite.com
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 13:17:49 MDT

I just installed YDL on my machine and was shocked and disappointed by how
slow it became. I installed BeOS on my machine 2 years ago and loved how
responsive and quick it felt compared to MacOS, but for whatever reasons I
never used it much. Fast forward to last week- after hearing such good
things about Linux and the increasing support base, I decided to go Linux. I

bought a new 15G hard drive and installed YDL on it (installation was
uneventful). Once I got KDE running, I was dismayed to find out that
everything took an order of magnitude longer to happen. Opening any
application takes a good 15 to 20 count, the file manager takes a good 15
seconds to display just 6 files. When I change any of the configs for KDE,
it
takes a good minute before the changes are finished. When I move a window or

scroll around, it is jumpy. Sometime the computer even has problems tracking

the cursor. When I am in shell mode however, commands are finished quickly.
When I leave xload running, it never really "pegs out"- it always stays at
some intermediate level with very infrequent bursts. The processor can't be
working too hard. Am I missing something or is this what I can expect from
Linux? I can't believe that anyone would give this product the rave reviews
that it has been getting if this is their experience. It certainly is not
usable in this state. Perhaps more RAM is the answer, but MacOS and BeOS
both do well with 32 megs. Is there something that is not configured
correctly?

Some details of my setup:
Mac 6500 with 603e processor at 250 MHz
32 meg RAM with 64 megs of swap space